<$BlogPageTitle$> <$BlogMetaData$>

Monday, May 15, 2006

Good and bad

"If you were able to choose a bad film to show at SFC ... what would it be and why?"

I see no one's bothered to answer Jonathan's question. One of my favourite bad movies when I was much younger was the breathtakingly cheesy epic Clash of the Titans, whose sheer badness is incalculably augmented by the presence in the cast of Laurence Olivier, Maggie Smith, and Claire Bloom, all playing divine residents of Olympus. I find it hard to believe the stop-motion special effects were considered cutting edge even in 1981. And Harry Hamlin's performance as the Greek hero Perseus is a comic tour de force--however inadvertent. I caught the movie on cable a couple of years ago and was by turns horrified and delighted to realise how much of the dialogue I still remembered. But show it at SFC? I don't think so.

I'd much rather screen one of my all-time favourite movies, Thoroughly Modern Millie ("Soy sauce!")--but that isn't a "bad" movie, is it? No more so than that other camp classic, Auntie Mame ("Agnes! You're coming out!" "Where?")--the Rosalind Russel version, I know you don't even have to ask--a desert island movie for sure, since I could probably watch it on continuous loop for several months before I got bored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home